Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sing-ing Sunday: SYF

Here are some pieces which have been used for SYF competitions in the past. Thought that I'd do this, since the SYF season for choirs is about to start.

The pieces may very well be re-used this year, I'm sure...



I've shown this before in an earlier post. Catchy rhythms.



Of course, the ever-popular Pamugun by FF Feliciano. Technically hard because of its speed. I pity the Bass 1s who have to sing syncopated rhythms at more than 120 crotchet beats per minute.

I can't find a better local recording of this song for some strange reason. This one's quite out of tune at parts. But in my opinion being out of tune is more forgivable in this song. Have you heard gamelan ensembles in tune?? Hence, my point!



Bin Nam Ma by Alberto Grau. The choreography is written in the score, by the way. Again, I can't find many other school choir recordings of this song on youtube, strange.



Not a common competition song choice, I suppose, but Eric Whitacre compositions are very well-liked by Singaporean school choirs, so here's goes.

The low C# at the end of the song requires inborn talent to be produced.



Mamayog Akun. When I was still in school I thought this was a risky choice for a competition song. Too short, not much of a climax, and it's a 'so what's the point?' kind of song. The score has little annotations, if I recall correctly, no articulation marks, almost no 'hairpins' and accents, only the occasional dynamic change.

But after listening to this version (OK, I cheated. This isn't by Singaporeans), I like this song now! This song requires brilliant interpretation to pull off, else it will sound really bland.



Singaporean choirs LOVE filipino compositions. Another show piece by Feliciano. The UST singers have big voices, I like their loud songs a lot! This version is very robust and resonant!



Iddem Dem Mallida. This interpretation is very different from my personal one. This one has less nuances and more hard-hitting.



With a Lily in Your Hand, by Whitacre. I should rename this post as "Filipino and Whitacre works" already...

No comments:

Post a Comment