Thursday, April 16, 2009

Day 2 of Sec Sch SYF (Live Thoughts) Part 4/4



Tanjong Katong Sec Sch


Prediction: H G / GwH
Actual: GwH

Crap I was late so all I could listen was the sound from the speaker, which isn't very good.. They sound pretty good from where I am, but then again I may be wrong. The next piece is Asian, and the tone sounds appropriate for the piece. They sound in tune, and have the character of the piece in well. My apologies to fans of TKSS. Can't really judge. But I reckon it's gold vs gwh

Anglo-Chinese Sch (Barker Road)

Prediction: L S / H B
Actual: S

Shit phone hanged, I'm gonna summarize this. I don't like their tone in general, sops are too dark and tenors are screaming. They had a good moment in the second piece, but they were consistently questionable in pitch. They need more training in their voices. Probably a low silver or high bronze depending on how the judges take to the pitch problems.

Kranji Sec Sch

Prediction: H S / L G
Actual: S (I felt they were cheated)

They're in green! Anw the tone is pretty good, they need more control and phrasing though, otherwise it's ok though weird. Their Chinese piece is pretty good the inflections and nuances are there. They're relatively in tune with a few pitch problems, but I don't feel much. In the next piece, the t bs esp have problem with the control needed to make the cut. I think it's a high silver or low gold.

Hillgrove Sec Sch

Prediction: CoP
Actual: CoP

The set piece is way too slow. The pitch problems were everyone esp when they climbed to high notes. The tone was airy and I wanted more sound from the 7 guys. The dissonance portion was a mess, and the a cappella section was painful. Next piece is a Chinese a cappella piece. Sounded bitonal. Omg. I can't say anymore. The last piece is accompanied by piano. It's still painfully flat even with the piano assisting. I love the chords in the piano though. CoP.

Macpherson Sec Sch

Prediction: CoP
Actual: CoP

They've got butterflies in their hair haha. Anyway, my phone ran out of batt, and i can't exactly remember what I typed so I'll do what I can rmb. The tone was lacking, and they were frequently out of tune. I remember it was almost painful to go through all of it. CoP was more or less certain.

Dunman High Sch

Prediction: H S/ L G
Actual: S

Another of Ms Tham's choirs. Dunman was alright. The tone was adequate but not spectacular. Pitch errors in the set piece, had some weird moments. They sang Kyrie as well, but the interpretation's lacking in subtlety and phrasing. The feel of the music isn't fully accentuated, some pitch errors during the interlay of voices. This piece is seriously difficult to pitch. The chords lock in at points, but didn't quite have the continuity to them. The last piece's Asian, but is flat. I didn't really care for it though, but it's definitely a high silver, question is whether the set piece will cause them to get a low gold.

2 comments:

  1. For the hilgrove sec...there are 8 guys for Baritone and one guy for Alto. Altogether there are 9 guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for hillgrove sec.. i think that they did their best and should hav atleast got a bronze

    ReplyDelete