Thursday, April 16, 2009

Day 2 of Sec Sch SYF (Live Thoughts) Part 2/4

And now we begin with the second half of the am session! The judges are not laughing or talking though. Could that be a sign of things to come?

Chua Chu Kang Sec Sch

Burung Kakak Tua
In these delightful groves

Prediction: L B / CoP
Actual: S (shock)

Oh my... The girls look like a gown version of the St Nicks t-shirt + sch uniform.. Anw they are very out of tune. Like really, all over the place in pitch. Not to mention they're very airy. Not a good start at all, it's probably the worse set piece I've heard thus far... The next piece is a cappella, they're very pitchy, getting flatter with each sequence. I like the tres piecarde at the end but that's probably as much as I liked. The chords in the next piece were not quite there, the pitchin is not quite there, and they were rushing. The lack of vocal training is showing. I can't wait for it to end. I'd say low bronze or cop if the judges take into account the set piece

Orchid Park Sec Sch

Cantate Domino
月娘啊!请你甲我讲(Hokkien)

Prediction: H S
Actual: G (a little surprised, they're lenient)

The set piece was fast, I like the phrasing, but the tone of the girls was a little airy while the guys were throaty. The a cappella section was a little pitchy. A little too much with the crescendo and descrescendo. Next piece is a cappella, quite clean, but airy lah. A little pitch problems at the cadences and end of phrases but the start was good. The last piece is accompanied by piano. They've got a sense of musicality (I'm not talking abt actions), and again I like the phrasing. The girls sound a little shrill but still airy here. I'd give them a high silver for their musicality but it's not gold becase of the level of difficulty of the pieces.

Anglo-Chinese Sch (Independent)

Paisigin
Credo

Prediction: H S
Actual: G (they're lenient)

The choir is huge and the conductor looks like a student LOL. Anw the tone is very airy, there is a lack of depth in the sound, but overall relatively in tune. Can't really hear the altos though. The next piece is a cappella, some split notes in the sops. Again there is a lack of depth in the sound. But I like the piece (credo). The phrasing is quite good, but lack subtlety. There are also a few voices sticking out. They ended flat. The next piece is paisigin, the tone is airy, it's alright but I didn't care for this, it kept repeating sequences. The cadences were a little off though. Ended sharp. Should be high silver.

Victoria Sch

Mundi Renovatio
Kucinta

Prediction: H G / GwH
Actual: GwH

I like the yellow tie and black vest. Anw the set piece is a tad slower. The sops sound constricted, the blend is not quite there. They're not really pronouncing the words. They're a little flat but recovered. But still pretty good. Mundi Renovatio next, the t bs sound very mature, some pitching errors in sops and tenors, but they got the mood right though it sounded a tad hectic. But still very solid. Kucinta forces me to listen to the sops and altos more which isn't very good since I don't quite fancy the constricted sound. Nevertheless a very good performance, the blend with a couple of minor pitch errors. Altos ended flat. I hate choreography in general so I wasn't too thrilled with it. I think it's a good performance, high gold definitely but dunno whether it'll be gwh.

The judges have a 5 min break, to deliberate I reckon on whether it's GwH.

Northland Sec Sch

Danny Boy
May Ibong Kakanta Kanta

Prediction: CoP
Actual: CoP

Ok their outfits remind me of kampong. But those around me say dian xiao we LOL. Anw, the set piece is very slow, and they clash ridiculously horridly. The tone's screechy (throaty for guys) and the accompanist is a mess. The a cappella section was awful and I'd say CoP just from this one performance. I said I'd heard the worse, apparently I was wrong. I like the first song, but they are doing a disservice to the song, pitching is again off, not to mention rhythm, tone and phrasing. The accomapanist isn't really keeping together with them. It was painful. Last piece is a cappella. Oh no. It's changing keys every few bars. Another excruiating performance. Clearly CoP.

Anderson Sec Sch

Hajnali Dal
Japanese Game

Prediction: GwH / H G
Actual: GwH

Huge choir! I like the shade of pink, and ms lim has a lot of supporters eh? Fast set piece, the sound has a depth to it, but the tenors are rather weak, it was rather 'bleh', though everything was alright. I think it lacks subtlety. The next piece starts promisingly, but needs more tenors to boost the chords. It's a difficult piece. It's lacking a maturity to it though the sound is there, albeit lacking in tenors. Basses could be more deep and stable in pitch though. Overall good job. The last piece really brings some life to their voices, they're rushing a little. Pitching is questionable at times. They could have played with tone a bit more in this piece. Another difficult piece. High gold yes, gold with honours is a possibility. Hmm. I'll extend a limb to say yes.

Greenview Sec Sch

Home on That Rock
望春风

Prediction: B
Actual: S (surprised)

They look alright LOL. The set piece is a tad slow. Very airy tone, pitching a little sharp. They lack dynamics and the altos were out in the a cappella section. Not a good start. 1st choice piece is the Chinese influenced one with piano accompaniment, the airy tone is an issue. Pitching is a problem, I'd say it's adequate but I'm not particularly fond of it. Final piece of the am session, they lack the depth, volume and soul to do gospel/ spiritual/ jazz-infused pieces. Makes them look amateurish. Not fond of choreography. I'd say bronze.

No comments:

Post a Comment