Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sing-ing Sunday 4



This week, we present Victoria Chorale, singing Stabat Mater by Alberto Grau.

I like the composition for it kept me interested all the way from the start to the end. A simple rhythmic motif heard at the beginning of the piece develops organically into what may sound like a succession of unrelated melodies and textures, but all of these are actually derived from the motif.

Dissonances, or clashing notes that don't sound 'in tune', so to speak, are reference to "sad and afflicted" Mary who watched Him be crucified.

The choreography is written out in the score. I suppose, correct me if I am wrong, it is a visually abstract reference to the crucification and to some extent Mary's emotions as well.

Interesting, how the meanings contained in the text are conveyed through sounds and visuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment