Tuesday, May 5, 2009

JC SYF (Live Thoughts) Part 3/4

Ok I apologise to everyone for this quarter of performance, I had lunch with someone and I totally forgot about the time. I had a friend who was inside and these are his predictions:

Apparently the emcee said the name of "Dum Belle" as "dumb bell" and caused a huge explosion of laughter inside the hall. Dunno how true it is but that's what he told me.

Nanyang JC

The Shower - Edward Elgar
Dum Belle - (not stated)

Prediction: HB/ LS
Actual: S

ACS (I)

My Love Dwelt in a Northern Land - Edward Elgar
Kasar Mie La Gaji - Alberto Grau

Prediction: HB/ LS
Actual: S

Temasek JC

Os justi - Anton Bruckner
Tanchame - Ko Matsushita

Prediction: HS/ LG
Actual: S

St. Andrew JC

Lay a Garland - Robert Pearsall
Knowee - Stephen Leek

Prediction: HB/ LS
Actual: S

Anderson JC

Ronde - Maurice Ravel
Magic Songs (movements 1,4 and 9 only) - R. Murray Schafer

Prediction: GwH
Actual: GwH

((According to him, their Ronde was better than RIJ's in terms of pitching and rhythm, and was thus stable. However, it was a lot slower than the intended speed.))

4 comments:

  1. Did your friend have any comments for this quarter of the SYF? I'm from ACS and I'm curious as to his opinion as to why we were a HB/LS choir. Any comments would be appreciated =)

    P.S. Our conductor's name is Phua Ee Kia, not Ee Kiat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it's true. Dum Belle became 'dumb bell'. Twice. I was there, trying not to laugh. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Demel,

    Sorry for the delay in the reply. I'm not too sure whether you'll read this comment, but here's my friend's comments:

    "For set piece, ACS(I) is quite out of tune compared to other silver choirs (TJC, TPJC etc). The errors made are pretty much spottable. For Piece 1, the diction wasn't too clear. Articulation could have been improved. They went sharp after 1st page of the song but managed to stay that way. But could feel the emotions somewhat. For Piece 2, it was supposed to be a powerful piece but the tuning was quite bad. Obvious errors. The spoken parts could have been more powerful. Good stage presence though. Overall, tuning was a fatality, generally good showmanship and engaging of the audience. Could hv been an unfair judgement since I knew both pieces before hand, and therefore I may be stricter in my judgement."


    To Keita:

    I wish I could have caught that lol. Would have made my day haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More details for AJC please? If there are any (:

    ReplyDelete